Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Breakfast - Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Cranberries

Someone once told me breakfast is "A meal after fasting" and it should be sumptuous. Though I never have a heavy breakfast, I try at least not to skip. My recent favorite is this.


Appromixate cooking time - 7 min
You need
Oats - 3/4 cup
Milk - 1 /2 cup
Water -1/4 cup
Sugar - 1tbsp
Ground Cinnamon - a bit
Dried Cranberries - 4

Method
Heat the milk. When the milk starts boiling, add oats and then water. Reduce the flame to medium and cook for 4 minutes. I like the oats semi-solid (oeey-goeey). When it reaches desired consistency, switch off, transfer to a bowl and add sugar and sprinkle ground cinnamon. Add the dried cranberries. Serve warm. You would have never guessed oatmeal tastes this good.

Nutritional value
Cinnamon - The spice mimics your body's insulin, which stimulates fat cells and allows excess sugar to move out of the blood. Try to get a teaspoon a day and loose weight :)
Oats - Can help to lower the blood cholesterol
Cranberries - I can't stress enough the goodness of cranberries - go Google or go Bing!!
Get creative and substitute with blueberries/strawberries. For people living in US, I get the Coache's Oats from Costco with steel cut texture. Like it more than Quaker's.

No comments:

Post a Comment